Source: Auckland Tourism, Events & Economic Development (ATEED)
A partnership aimed at attracting more high-value Chinese visitors to New Zealand during shoulder and off-peak seasons has been formed between Auckland’s economic development agency, the bankcard scheme with the world’s largest cardholder base, and Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) signed the China – New Zealand Year of Tourism 2019 Memorandum of Understanding with UnionPay International Co. Ltd (UPI) and INZ to explore shared common goals around the China-NZ Year of Tourism initiative.
ATEED General Manager – Destination, Steve Armitage, says as New Zealand’s second largest international tourism market, Chinese visitors are a significant contributor to Auckland’s accelerating economic growth.
The MoU seeks to ensure that opportunities around the China-New Zealand Year of the Tourism 2019 are maximised and leveraged through targeted activities and identified value-add benefits.
Steve Armitage says: “This collaboration aims to increase visitation from the high-value Chinese free and independent segment, adding benefit to our tourism partners around the region as we enhance the quality and delivery of existing tourism products and services.”
In collaboration with Auckland tourism suppliers, ATEED will produce unique and sustainable Auckland tourism packages for high-value UnionPay cardholders alongside Auckland tourism suppliers. This activity is part of UPI and INZ’s Tourism Industry Partnerships programme to ensure UnionPay cardholders have a quality Auckland experience during their stay.
These partnerships streamline the visa application process for a select pool of premium customers belonging to these partners, provided they are of good character and health, and support in-market work undertaken by NZ Inc. agencies.
INZ General Manager Settlement Protection and Attraction Steve McGill says: “INZ is happy to support this effort to maximise the high-value tourism opportunity that the China NZ Year of Tourism 2019 brings to New Zealand.”
UnionPay has issued more than 7 billion cards in 51 countries and regions, with millions being to premium cardholders.
In New Zealand, more than 60,000 merchants now accept UnionPay Cards via POS terminals, 85% of ATMs offer UnionPay Card withdrawal services. It ensures UnionPay cardholders’ have high-quality visiting experiences from secured payment experiences of shopping, dining, hospitality, transportation perspectives.
James Yang, General Manager of UnionPay International South Pacific region, says “this partnership facilitates the culture, economy and financial technology exchanges between New Zealand and China through UnionPay International’s high quality, cost-effective and secure cross-border payment services.”
NOTES TO EDITOR
Immigration New Zealand Tourism Industry Partnerships:
• In November 2012, MBIE published a China Market Review report recommending that INZ implement initiatives to target high-value, low-risk visitors through arrangements with industry partners.
• These partnerships are designed to support both the government’s and industry’s strategic priorities for the tourism sector, focused on attracting high value tourists and business event visitors, and encouraging more international travellers to come to NZ outside the peak season period.
• Applicants still need to meet all other requirements, including being of good character and an acceptable standard of health.
• Opportunities for the TIP programme to support the 2019 China-New Zealand Year of Tourism (YOT) have been identified in MBIE’s YOT Tourism goals development document
• The China UnionPay scheme was announced during President Xi Jinping’s visit to New Zealand in November 2014.
• More information on the Tourism Industry Partnerships can be found here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/assist-migrants-and-students/other-industry-partners/tourism-partnership
About UnionPay International:
• UnionPay International (UPI) is a subsidiary of China UnionPay focused on the growth and support of UnionPay’s global business. In partnership with more than 1800 institutions worldwide, UnionPay International has enabled card acceptance in 174 countries and regions with issuance in 51 countries and regions outside the Chinese Mainland. UnionPay International provides high quality, cost effective and secure cross-border payment services to the world’s largest cardholder base and ensures convenient local services to a growing number of global UnionPay cardholders and merchants.
• For more information on UnionPay International, please visit www.unionpayintl.com